- Location: Sivananda Ashram, Paradise Island, Bahamas
- Time: 5 Days, 36 hours
- Date: March 11 – 15, 2015 (5 full days; 6 nights required as we start on the morning of the 11th and end on the evening of the 15th)
- Cost: $680 (does not include lodging)
- Credits: 26 CEs for NASW, NAADAC, Nurses; 36 CEUs for Yoga Alliance
This Experiential workshop is open to all with yoga experience and is Part A of a 3-Part certification course to become a LifeForce Yoga Practitioner – level 1. Learn an empowering, evidence-based Yoga protocol for self-care and to help students and clients focus, relax, and have greater access to feeling states. You will experience all aspects of LifeForce Yoga, including pranayama, kriya, asana, nada yoga (sound), bhavana (visual imagery) sankalpa (intention/affirmation), meditation, and non-dual self-inquiry.
There will also be opportunities for practicing with one and other and receiving feedback from the faculty. For those who are already LifeForce Yoga Practitioners, this can be taken as a refresher course/retreat. Yoga and health care professionals and general practitioners will learn strategies appropriate for a clinical setting that can safely release chronically held physical tension and repressed emotion.
This Experiential is offered in a yoga retreat ashram setting on a beautiful beach, where you may attend daily early morning and evening satsang with the ashram residents that includes meditation and chanting. One satsang per day is required, both are recommended. This program has extended hours.
Students of this course will:
- Design one-on-one Yoga sessions for dysthymia (chronic depression), anxiety-based depression, PTSD, and bipolar disorder
- Learn breathing and meditation practices for addressing dysthymia and anxiety-based depression
- Learn how to add somatic strategies to clinical practice and Yoga classes to increase clients’ self-awareness, self-acceptance, self-esteem, and ability to cope
- Experience techniques you can teach your clients and students to do at home
- Practice asanas (postures), pranayama and kriyas (breathing and cleansing), mantra (chanting), bhavana (development of the mind), sankalpa (resolve and intention), mudra (hand gestures), meditation, therapeutic long holding of postures and non-dual strategies for working with negative self-talk
- Take home tools and confidence for working with individuals suffering from depression and anxiety
Required Reading: Yoga for Depression by Amy Weintraub (Broadway Books)
Required Practice: LifeForce Yoga DVDs & CDs
Recommended Reading: Yoga Skills for Therapists (W.W. Norton)
Amy Weintraub will be assisted by Rose Kress, ERYT-500, a LifeForce Yoga Educator/Mentor and Functional Yoga Therapist; and Kathy Shafer, Ph.D., LCSW, ERYT-500, LFYP-2, a psychotherapist specializing in addictions and LifeForce Yoga Mentor..
Sivananda Ashram Schedule: 36 Program Hours Required for Part A Certification
- Mar 11 – 14: 8 – 10 am (Inauguration Puja at 8 am on the 6th); 12:00 – 3:00 pm
- Mar 15: 8 – 10 am; 12:00 – 4:00 pm (Graduation Puja at 5:15 pm)
- Satsang: 6 – 7:45 am; 8 – 10:00 pm (One a day is required, both are recommended)
- Sivananda Yoga Class 4:00 – 6:00 pm (Recommended)